I'm in a book study on the book, Do Hard Things, right now. (A book you should definitely read.) It talks about doing hard things while we are teens and kids and not only doing them because they are hard but doing it because that is what God calls us to do. Step out of our comfort zones and confess our faith! In the chapter that we just read it talked about an invisible shackle that holds an elephant back. When they are babies, the zoo keepers, whatever you want to call them - humans, put a very thick post in the ground and attach a heavy iron shackle around it's leg. The baby elephant pulls and tugs but the only thing it does is cut the shackle into it's leg. So eventually the elephant stops pulling at the post and shackle. When it gets bigger, the owners put a piece of twine around it's leg and tie it to a even smaller post. The huge elephant could easily break the twine but it doesn't because it has the invisible shackle on it's mind. I think our fear can be like that. It can hold us back from what we can do. I'm not saying that we should go into a city and start smashing buildings like an elephant, but don't let your fear control you. It will hold you back from what you can truly be.
So anyways, back to the story. I ended up going to the retreat and had fun. I played a lot of jump-around songs. I brought 3 songs and also brought one I had written. I was very anxious to play mine, meaning very scared. But the kids there were very nice and very encouraging. I actually had to play Trading My Sorrows 4 times and If We are the Body 2 times. Also, it got the band known a little bit more. And Mrs. Musolf said she would love to have the band play sometime and I'm sure I would do it. Also, I had so much fun that when my pastor asked me to play for Good Friday service, I was able to say yes. So, the main point is, don't let your fear be an invisible shackle holding you back from what God created you to do. Oh sure, you'll fail sometimes but that's how we learn and trust in God. Where are you letting your fear hold you back?
Jake,
ReplyDeletethis is so true! Even at my age of 42 I still struggle with this fear issue! I love the book 'Do Hard Things' too! This was a great entry! Love you!
(Aunt Charissa)
Hey Jake and Zeke! I love your blog, it's awesome! Everything you write is so true, and it helped me see that even though I have fear inside me, God is so much more than that! I want to read that book. I've read a book by their older brother, Joshua Harris. You should read Tortured For Christ by Richard Wurmbrand. It talks about the persecuting of the church in Russia, and how he stood up against Communisim. REALLY good book. See you Saturday!
ReplyDeleteLandon